Position: Epilepsy Educator
1-year contract, Full time
Epilepsy Ottawa is seeking a dynamic educator with a passion for engaging clients and facilitating a sense of community.
The Epilepsy Educator is responsible for client and community presentations, delivering scripted and semi-scripted presentations to small and large audiences. The successful candidate will provide support and advocacy services to individuals living with epilepsy and their loved ones. They will facilitate an epilepsy community though client outreach and organizing community activities and events. The successful candidate must have the ability to travel to presentations and events throughout Ottawa and the surrounding rural regions (Lanark County, Renfrew County, Prescott-Russell County, and Stormont Dundas & Glengarry Counties). Epilepsy Ottawa is motivated to hire someone who can provide services in both English and French.
- Epilepsy education presentations to groups of all sizes (from 1-on-1 sessions to large groups of 100+ attendees)
- Client outreach and engagement
- Work with clients one-on-one and in groups
- Client advocacy
- Identify areas of need, find necessary resources, provide information, and make referrals
- Facilitate support groups, social activities, and community events
Post-secondary degree in a related area or equivalent experience – e.g. Social Work, Health Promotion, Social Services. Experience and knowledge directly related to the essential job functions must be defined in cover letter.
- Minimum two years professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to work with stakeholders and the public
- Bilingual speaker (English/French)
- Caring and compassionate by nature
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, public speaking and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in working with individuals that are part of a vulnerable community or are living with a chronic health condition.
- Demonstrated organization skills and the ability to effectively multi-task and triage.
- Understanding and respect for diversity and those with disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, self-directed with the ability to work well alone and as part of a team
- Capacity to work under changing conditions
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Highly focused on attention to detail
- Strong time management skills
- Proficiency in Windows based software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
The Epilepsy Educator’s workday will be primarily during typical office hours but will include some evening and weekend meetings or activities. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits on a 1-year contract with a possibility for renewal.
About Epilepsy Ottawa
Epilepsy Ottawa is a not-for-profit, charitable agency dedicated to improving the quality of life for those living with epilepsy or seizure disorders and those closest to them through support services, education, advocacy, and on-going public awareness. The agency provides services to those affected by epilepsy in the Ottawa region, including the wider rural communities (Lanark County, Renfrew County, Prescott-Russell County, and Stormont Dundas & Glengarry Counties).
Epilepsy Ottawa is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know through your cover letter.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00am on Monday December 16, 2019.
While we appreciate all applications – only those selected for an interview will be contacted.